Friday, January 17, 2014

edX Demo reflection

After logging in and using my edX demo account,  I can say it was very easy and user-friendly. I had no trouble signing up for the account, verifying my account, or working through the course. Everything is very step-by-step and easy to use. By clicking through the top dashboard, I was able to get a feel for what would be in each course. By clicking through the lessons on the left, I was able to get a realistic feel for what taking the class would be like.

I found it a bit frustrating because certain videos and interactive websites wouldn't load for me. I'm sure that would be frustrating as a student, especially if your homework depended on those videos or activities. I think the use of "interactive" was a bit overused as you are just interacting with the computer, not a person. I did like the way the course provided videos, readings and interactive sites.

It seemed as though taking quizzes and submitting work would be very easy to understand and use as a student. Halfway through the second lesson, I was wondering how you ask a question. This was answered in the third lesson. I enjoyed the ability to find a study buddy near me also.

I'm not sure if MOOCs are the future of learning. I can see there being a balance of MOOCs and traditional methods for students. I think there would have to be some standardization of the courses if they were going to be used for a diploma or a degree. They would benefit those who are unable to afford education or are unable to attend class in person. I had quite a few students at my former online school who were teenage mothers; online school was a great option for them as they took care of their infants and toddlers. It was also beneficial for those students who were gifted athletes and musicians. They were able to train for their sport or instrument while still attending school, just not during traditional hours. I also believe it was beneficial for those who have medical or mental issues.

I think the major harm is in the interaction between people. This human interaction is vital to our society; the thought of most of us at home and not interacting face-to-face is scary to me. I can see how our society has already changed for the worse with the overuse of technology. If we also take away that interaction with education, I'm afraid for what may happen. Will we forget how to interact with each other? I think a balance between the two would be the best approach.




2 comments:

  1. Tiffany- I also found it easy to navigate which would benefit any learner. However, there was not much interaction with peers. The interactions offered- discussion boards, peer reviews, MeetUp Community locations- would not be applicable in every situation. For example, I did not have any MeetUp Communities available. This would be frustrating for any user who wanted to participate in face-to-face interaction within the boundaries of the course. I thought one benefit for MOOCs could be to support teachers in preparation for the PARCC Assessments. Do you believe this could be a viable option? I would love to get the opinion of other teachers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, Chelsea! I kind of laughed at the "interactive" lessons because I was thinking interacting with peers or the instructor but it meant interact with the computer!! I had never thought about using a MOOC for the new PARCC assessment. I can see that being very beneficial. My only fear is that the students who would most benefit from the extra education would be the last ones to take advantage of it.

    ReplyDelete