Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Activity #5: Response to Email Scenario

Here is the letter received from a parent: 


Dear Miss Ross,
My daughter, Ally McDonald, has been participating on your blog site and she enjoys the work very much, but lately another student has been leaving her mean comments.  They aren’t terrible or slanderous; they are more like underhanded nasty statements disguised as reasonable comments.  For example, in the book you are currently reading, Logan jumped into the water to save Ben and Ally commented on this.  This student then said, “You are so insightful, Ally.  I’m sure no one could have guessed that would happen.  I wish I was as smart as you.”  Could you please look into this and let me know how you can help diffuse the situation?  Ally is quite upset by it.
Mrs. Patten


Here is my response:

Dear Mrs. Pattern,

Thank you for bringing this to my attention. While I value the experiences for the students while creating and using a blog to reflect on their learning, I am upset that the students have engaged in hurtful and unhelpful comments with Ally. I completely understand why she is upset. Cyberbullying is an issue the U.S. government, and our school, takes very seriously. We have biweekly lessons on the topic and students are encouraged to report such matters. Ally was right in bringing this to our attention. I commend you for preventing further bullying attempts by being aware of Ally's online use.

As for the students leaving Ally hurtful comments, they will be dealt with according to our Appropriate Use Policy. The policy states that a student's "use of the School District Board of Education’s Internet, computers, email and networks (hereafter referred to as “Computer Networks”) is a privilege and not a right. Students are to use the Computer Networks only for educational purposes. Unauthorized and inappropriate use will result in a cancellation of this privilege." I will discuss this matter with our school administrators and we will take an appropriate course of action. I will keep you informed. 

Obviously, I am very upset by this turn of events. I am sorry that Ally had to endure this unfair treatment. Thank you for bringing it to my attention. 

Sincerely,

Tiffany Townsend

3 comments:

  1. Tiffany- Great response. I believe you addressed the issue in a professional and appropriate manner. Additionally, you referred to the AUP of which the mother signed at the beginning of the year. After reading the student AUP, you might want to add this point, "The Board also monitors students online activity to guard against inappropriate use. Despite these measures, students may be able to access content that the Board has not authorized for educational purposes, and/or that is inappropriate, offensive or objectionable." This frees you, the educator, and the district of any wrong doing since the AUP recognizes pitfalls in the monitoring system.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great response! I believe you provided the parent your support and understanding of the situation. I liked that you showed the parent you are aware of the increase of cyberbullying across the U.S., and you are taking an initiative to address it in your classroom. Your second paragraph was perfect in showing how the problem will be addressed with the school system and will be taken care of. I feel your response was perfect in showing your support toward the parents and informing them how the situation will be handled.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, ladies! I agree, Chelsea, that would be a nice addition.

    ReplyDelete